Institute for Lung Research and Pulmonary Oncology
- Prim. Priv.-Doz. Dr. Georg-Christian Funk
1160 Wien, Montleartstraße 37
- Prim. Priv.-Doz. Dr. Arschang Valipour
1210 Wien, Brünner Straße 68
- Hannah Fabikan, BSc
Work at the Institute
The Karl Landsteiner Institute for Lung Research and Pulmonary Oncology is dedicated to the following scientific areas:
- Clinical trials to evaluate the safety and efficacy of oncologic therapies in patients with lung cancer.
- Clinical studies on the feasibility, safety and efficacy of pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatment options in patients with COPD
- Clinical studies on the feasibility, safety, and efficacy of pharmacologic treatment options in patients with interstitial lung disease
- Landsteiner Lung Cancer Study (LALUCA): This is a prospective lung cancer registry, with a primary focus on diagnostic processes, therapeutic decisions, and prognosis in clinical practice.
- Conducting "real-life" studies in the field of COPD, interstitial lung disease and lung cancer with the aim of improving the characterization of affected patients.
- Participation in national and international registry studies (e.g.: alpha-1-antitrypsin deficiency) with the aim of achieving a better understanding of the course of pneumological diseases and their success in treatment.
- Cooperation with the Institute for Ethics and Law in Medicine for the purpose of researching the effects of structured therapy targeting on medical-ethical decisions.
The institute conducts clinical trials in Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3 and Phase 4 post-market access. In addition, a number of investigator-initiated trials and academic research projects with national and international scientific collaborators are being carried out.
Our scientific cooperation partners are:
- Medical University, Vienna
- Medical University, Graz
- Austrian Institute of Technology
- Institute for Ethics and Law in Medicine
- Faculty of Psychology, University of Vienna
- Thorax Clinic, Heidelberg University Hospital
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- University Medical Center Groningen
- Royal Brompton Hospital
- Charles University, Prague
- DEEP VR